The Pokemon Go Ultra Unlock Dragon Week event is here. The special week is a reward for trainers completing eight challenges during Pokemon GO Fest 2020.
It will come as no surprise that the event is centered around dragon-type Pokemon. Dragon Week starts on Friday, July 31, 1pm PDT and finishes exactly a week later on Friday, August 7, 1pm PDT.
Timed Research – Tasks and rewards
Timed Research is becoming a more familiar sighting in Pokemon Go and there will be another one as part of the Dragon Week.
In addition to this, there is a chance you may encounter a Shiny Deino. Its Shiny form turns Deino green, making it one of the noticeable changes among Shiny Pokemon.
All the tasks and rewards are as follows:
Ultra Unlock 2020 1/4
- Power up Pokemon 5 times – Hyper Potion x3
- Make 5 Nice Throws – 500 XP
- Catch 3 Dragon-type Pokemon – Poke Ball x5
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Dratini encounter, Silver Pinap Berry x1
Ultra Unlock 2020 2/4
- Evolve 3 Pokemon – Revive x3
- Make 7 Great Throws – 500 XP
- Catch 5 Dragon-type Pokemon – Poke Ball x7
- Rewards: 500 Stardust, Bagon encounter, Silver Pinap Berry x1
Ultra Unlock 2020 3/4
- Win a Raid – Charged TM x1
- Make an Excellent Throw – 1,000 XP
- Catch 7 Dragon-type Pokemon – Great Ball x5
- Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, Deino encounter, Silver Pinap Berry x1
Ultra Unlock 2020 4/4
- Defeat 3 Team GO Rocket Grunts – Dragon Scale x1
- Make 3 Excellent Throws – 1,500 XP
- Catch 9 different species of Pokemon – Great Ball x7
- Rewards: 1,000 Stardust, encounter, Silver Pinap Berry x1
You will encounter a second Deino in an already completed tasks following this.
There will also be increased spawns of certain species for the duration of the week. The following will be appearing more frequently in the wild: Alolan Exeggutor, Bagon, Dratini, Horsea, Swablu, Trapinch.
Gible will also be appearing more frequently. However, the Pokemon Go blog post on the event says: “If you’re lucky, you might find a Gible.” This suggests it won’t be as common as the other Pokemon listed.
Similar Pokemon will be appearing in 7km eggs, too. That is Bagon, Dratini, Horsea, Swablu, Trapinch. Gible and Deino will also hatch sometimes but again the wording strongly suggests they will be rarer.
— Pokemon News (@PokemonSwordNS) July 31, 2020
It wouldn’t be a Dragon Week without the king of dragon-type attackers, Rayquaza. The dual dragon and flying-type Pokemon has appeared in Raid Battle before but now it is back.
Ice-type attacks are the best way to take Rayquaza down, so use the likes of Galarian Darmanitan, Weavile, Mamoswine, and Glaceon. Mewtwo is also an excellent option when utilizing Ice Beam as a Charge Move.
Where possible it is also better to use Shadow variants of these Pokemon as they have an increased attack stat. As a result, Shadow Mewtwo is actually the best Rayquaza Raid counter.
Hopefully, the event is kind to you trainers and you get to find plenty of Deino and Gible. Increased spawns for two of the rarest and fan-favorite Pokemon is certainly worth looking forward to.